The Peoples of the Susquehanna River

The Peoples of the Susquehanna River 

The Susquehanna River can trace it's American colonial history back to the 1600s. European settlers were drawn to the Susquehanna's fertile valleys and abundant resources, bringing their hopes of prosperity, and their conflicts, with them.

But long before their arrival, there were others who called this region home. They were people who traveled the length of the Susquehanna and knew it well ... People who were one with the landscape. Who were they, and where did they go? And what have they left behind?

Peoples of the Susquehanna River is an original documentary film produced by WVIA Public Media and Bucknell University. The one-hour program examines the history, cultures and traditions of the Native Americans of the Susquehanna River watershed. Prehistoric tribes, whose existence over 1000 years ago can still be discovered up and down the river from New York State to the west branch to the Chesapeake Bay.

Artifact Expert to Present at NCC8 Workshop

Gary Fogelman, artifact expert and flintknapper, demonstrates
stone tool technology at the 2017 NCC8 Artifact Fair.

Northcentral Chapter 8 kicks off its winter season of meetings and workshops with a visit from Indian artifact expert and flintknapper Gary Fogelman.
Fogelman will present a workshop on how to identify stone tools and artifacts at 6 p.m. Nov. 6, 2017 at the Taber Museum, Lycoming County Historical Society, 858 W. Fourth St., Williamsport, PA.
The public is welcome to attend.
Northcentral Chapter 8 (NCC8) will also accept nominations for its board of directors, including president, vice president, secretary/treasurer, at the meeting.

Rare Native American Human Face Effigy

The human effigy was made by the Clemson’s Island People, a Native American culture living in the Susquehanna River valley area approximately 1,000 years ago.

This artifact was found at the first registered archaeological excavation in Lycoming County, designated 36LY1 in 1957, by North Central Chapter 8 of the Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology.

It was excavated near the Brock Village Site near Muncy, PA. This village was associated with the Brock Burial Mound, however, the effigy was not found within the confines of that mound.

Notice the eyes, made from freshwater pearls and expertly set in the clay effigy. The features on the face are etched and carved beautifully and holes were drilled in the perimeter of the skull to accommodate feathers. Archaeologists know this because feather residue was found in those holes.

Originally bound for this museum, it disappeared into private collections and although drawings and pictures have appeared in artifact and archaeological publications since 1957, the effigy was never on public display until now.